Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Race for the Cure

Hi Everyone,
I'll be walking in the April 19 Tucson Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. My intention is to raise a minimum of $200. If you feel a pull to donate here is my personal link: http://tinyurl.com/ddrfzc No photo- they wouldn't take. Even though my family has been blessed with healthy breast tissue, I feel called to walk this walk to increase funds for education and research.. In the late '90s while on a travel assignment, I decided to take care of my annual mammogram. The results indicated a tiny mass which I knew was there for as long as I could remember. The doctor wanted to do a radical mastectomy! I was floored. My thoughts were I need a second opinion or at least a biopsy and asked the doctor why so radical in his recommendation. After all I was quite diligent in doing my routine breast exam. He didn't have a good answer. So here I was -an adult woman on the phone with my Mom trying not to break down. She just listened and said I knew what to do. Good coaching Mom! I decided to get a second opinion when I returned to Tucson. My dear sister, Kate who was living in the area researched some clinics and I made an appointment with one specializing in Women's Health. Short story- went through the biopsy( uncomfortable) and all it was was some adipose tissue that had been there forever. Moral to the story- always get a second opinion and listen to your intuition if a recommendation feels off. That's my motivation for the walk.
Here's my link again. http://tinyurl.com/ddrfzc

Much Joy,
Colleen