Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Creativity Bug

I shared on Facebook a while back that I was blocked in my creativity. Thinking back to when I felt the most creative I discovered that I was engaged in making something- a Christmas ornament, a wall quilt etc. So to unblock my right brain and to restart my creative juices I decided to make a Raggedy Anne doll for my granddaughter. In a galaxy, long long ago, I made a Raggedy Anne as a college project and felt that going back to that experience would get my creative brain back into gear. So out I went looking for the pattern and various and sundry materials that I needed. I started the project just before New Years and it sat there on my dining room table for several weeks until I felt those intuitive nudges to "get to it". What I found out was that I needed to reacquaint myself with my sewing machine and then batch or chunk the time to work on this project. I was becoming overwhelmed with the details of the project and my own idea of the due date to have the doll finshed. So I coached myself about this and asked (myself)" What would assist you in completeing this project in a timely manner and create a joyuous and fun experience for you?" The answer came intuitively that I needed to:

  • set aside specific focus time in my calendar for this wonderful project and stick to it in addition to chunking a 2 hour block of time
  • to give myself permission to take a break when the project was becoming frustrating and not fun.
  • to relax my idea of the due date
  • and be totally present while sewing,pinning and stuffing.

This self-coaching really helped and needless to say I have more energy towards this project and look forward to my set time of working on it.

What sparks your creative juices? I welcome your e-mails, if you feel inclined to send me your inspirations.

Much Joy,

Colleen

P.S. Photo next week.