Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Jury duty Calls!

Having postponed jury duty in March, it was requested of me to be available the week of April 28 - May 2. So off I went yesterday to the new Federal Building in downtown Tucson. I was assigned a high number to wear on my left lapel- no names for privacy. The first 31 numbers were called to sit in the jury box and courtroom area and taken through the list of questions to determine viable reasons for being excused or not. Those of us remaining in the observer section were asked to quietly answer the questions. I was thinking -"well there are alot of people here and I'm sure glad I received a higher number". Slowly as one person was excused after another my number was gradually getting closer to be called. Yep- there I was walking up to the empty seat in the jury box left vacant by the previous excused number. Here I was at choice- do I say yes I'm in a hardship situation being self employed and not being paid by my work for the next 3 days or do my civic duty to stay and see if I'm selected to sit on the jury for this case or do I decide to leave the outcome to the Universe and see what unfolds. This is nanosecond or less processing. I decided to let things unfold having no other strong feelings about the case and after living overseas I wanted to participate in our judicial system; imperfect as it is, it is far more fair and just than many other countries.

So dear friends, I am on the jury for a criminal case in federal court with 12 others. There are 13 of us. I leave you today with a quote and some inquiries regarding choice.

"Grant yourself buoyant freedom from shoulds and have-tos, since nothing clouds inner knowing as thoroughly as inner hectoring." -from The Life Organizer

Inquiries:
How do I feel abouat the choices I've been making in the past few weeks and months?
Who am I becoming with these choices?
Are these choices moving me toward or away from what I most value?
Are they moving me away or toward a life that fits me?

To joyful choices,
Colleen